Jaffa. Is there a more Aussie flavour than the perfect balance of chocolate and orange? It’s the taste of so many Aussie and Kiwi childhoods.
So what better way to treat yourself than to make our reindeer jaffa protein mousse?
The incredible avocado is the base of this healthy dessert recipe.
Did you know that avocados provide us with more Potassium than bananas? They are also a good source of Magnesium, Copper and Sodium, as well as Vitamins A, E K, B-6 and C.
Although they are a fruit, they contain very little sugar, which makes them low carb and puts them at the low end of the Glycemic Index. And, of course, it’s also Keto-friendly.
Avocados are an excellent source of dietary fibre and – best of all – good fats. Avos are packed with monounsaturated fatty acids, which are believed to help prevent heart disease, diabetes and some cancers.
If you’d like to read about another great source of ‘good fats’, see our post on LSA.
So rather than worrying about calories and carbs, you can indulge in our jaffa protein mousse knowing that every mouthful is doing you good!
Reindeer Jaffa Protein Mouse
Makes 1 very generous serve or 2 smaller portions.
It takes minutes to knock out this decadently rich treat using pantry staples that most of us have at home.
And if you’d like to have a go at making our amazing protein shake, see here.
2 Ripe Avocados
100g Dark Chocolate – 70% or above Cocoa content (if you’d like to know more about what’s in your chocolate, see here)
3 Tbsp Cacao Powder
1/2 cup Orange Juice – fresh
Zest of 1 Orange – finely grated
1-2 tbsp Maple Syrup or Honey
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Pinch of Salt (we like Himalayan Pink Rock Salt – for the extra minerals)
Are you wondering what all the fuss is about protein powders? See here.
1 Red Jelly Bean
2 White Chocolate Buttons
2 Edible Silver Balls
- Melt the dark chocolate – either zap it carefully in the microwave on a low power setting or melt it in a bowl over a pot of boiling water on the stove top.
- Scoop the avocado flesh into a blender.
- Pour in the melted chocolate into the blender and then add all of the other mousse ingredients.
- Blend until completely, smooth – scrapping down the sides of the blender a couple of times as you go.
- Pour into glasses and either decorate and serve immediately, or chill for an hour if you want a slightly thicker jaffa protein mousse.
- To turn your jaffa protein mousse into cute reindeers, add the pretzels as ears and the other decorations, as in the photo.
For a fantastic, protein-rich bliss ball recipe, see here.
- Mint Chocolate Protein Mousse- skip the orange juice and zest and instead add 2-3 drops (taste and check if you need to add more) of peppermint essence to the basic chocolate mousse. Adding a couple of tablespoons of raw cacao nibs also adds crunch and extra antioxidants. Decorate with a sprig of fresh mint.
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Mousse – ditch the orange juice and zest. Add 2 tbsp of peanut butter at the blending stage. You can also swap the regular chocolate protein powder for flavour enhancing Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Powder. Decorate with a sprinkle of crush peanuts.
If you’d like to try our versatile, delicious and healthy overnight oats recipe, see here.
- Chocolate Banana Protein Mousse – leave out the orange juice and zest and replace 1/2 avocado with 2 ripe bananas. Again, you can boost the banana flavour by exchanging the straight chocolate protein powder for a Banana Protein Powder (and an extra tablespoon of cacao powder to keep the chocolate coming through). Decorate with slices of fresh banana.
- Nutella Protein Mousse (Chocolate Hazelnut) – full disclosure – this is very rich and arguably the least healthy option due to the high sugar content, although you can buy low-carb chocolate hazelnut alternatives to the famous branded spread. Again, drop the orange juice and zest. Add 2 tbsp Nutella (or a similar spread). And again, you can up the flavour by swapping the standard chocolate protein powder for a Chocolate Hazelnut Protein Powder. Decorate with crushed, roasted hazelnuts.
And if you’ve got a sweet tooth, but like to keep your desserts as healthy as possible, take a look at our Irresistible Chocolate Hazelnut Protein Brownie.
Following a healthy diet and living well can’t solely be about strict exercise regimes and calorie counting, but there’s no reason why your commitment to creating a better you has to mean a bad fat and sugar blow-out.
Our jaffa protein mousse will help to satisfy those sweet cravings and encourage you to continue pursuing your health goals, whilst rewarding your achievements. But best of all, it’s still providing your body with more goods things than bad!