To build mass and thickness to the triceps. The action used for this exercise is extension and flexion. The muscles designed to be used are the Tricep Brachii and the Anconeus. Other muscles used are Biceps Brachii, Brachialis, Sachioradialis and Pronator Teres.
- Place a bench behind you and one in front of you.
- Rest your hands at a shoulder width apart on the edge of the bench behind you and the heels of your feet on the edge of the bench in front of you, raising you off the floor.
- Slowly and deliberately bend your elbows lowering your body, your backside should be descending in the direction of the floor.
- Once you have gone down as far as you can slowly press back up focusing using your triceps for the push.
- Maintain the hold with your arms at the top of the movement for a few seconds and feel the contraction. You should feel the burn towards the end of your set.
- Locking your elbows at the top of the movement puts unwanted force on the elbows.
- When you need to increase the resistance, get a spotter to place plate weights on your lap.
- Want an extra pump, put your feet up on a fit ball and try it. Stabilising yourself on the ball adds an extra dimension to your training. Not recommend for beginners.
Another superb way of working your triceps – and loads of other muscles groups at the same time – is by using a rowing machine. If you’d like to know more about this versatile piece of exercise equipment, please see here.